Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Happy Birthday, Doc Watson

From the editor:

Today, March 3, is the 87th birthday of the great Doc Watson. Back in 1996, Doc was the subject of one of Josh's most moving profiles for the Dallas Observer:

“...He said, ‘Dad, what do you think about goin’ commercial?’ And I said, ‘You want an honest answer, son?’ He said, ‘Yeah, and I hope it’s the way I feel about it.’ I said, ‘I don't want no part of that rat race. Let’s do what we’re doin’ and try to stay alive in the business.’ He said, ‘Them’s my thoughts, exactly.’”

Happy Birthday to Doc Watson: a true American original, a continuing inspiration, and a class act to boot.

Click here to read "The Circle Unbroken: Doc Watson" by Josh Alan Friedman.

Click here for Josh Alan's 2007 performance of "Black Mountain Rag," from Doc's arrangement.

Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Leo Kottke, Josh Alan, Nashville 1988

"Deep River Blues," one of Doc's signature songs, is available on Josh Alan's album Famous & Poor. Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment